Thursday, March 24, 2011

Guess I shouldn't have worried - 1st sprouts of 2011!

I mentioned a couple of days ago that I was planting some older seeds - I was a bit concerned and put one more seed in each cell than I would normally do to make up for the fact that they probably wouldn't all be viable after a couple of years.
Turns out I shouldn't have worried; here we have them--my first sprouts of 2011 - ta-da!

brand new best boy tomato sprouts
The moonflowers and my hybrid best boy tomatoes (both from 2009) are both coming up, and at least for those tomatoes, I'm seeing 3 sprouts for 3 seeds in almost every cell.  Don't know if viability is more in line with my grandparents thinking or keeping the seeds in a ziplock freezer bag in the freezer for years is just the way to go?  But either way, I'll take it!

Slightly humorous side note: Not only did I wake up with moonflowers  and tomatoes, but also snow!  

Moonflowers, tomatoes, and snow!


Rose is pretty unhappy to have the snow back again (it's been a long sort of winter around here), and I'm looking at the lawn furniture we set up last weekend and having a hard time wrapping my brain around still more of the white stuff...but, at least I have these lovely little sprouts to wish me well and hint very strongly that winter is really nearing it's end.


1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your little sprouts! It must be really exciting to see them grow. I am sorry about snow, we don't have snow here, but it has been raining non-stop and I am so tired of it. Oh, well, good weather will come soon...

    ReplyDelete