Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Welcome, little Brandywines

As I mentioned before, this spring was a bit tricky for me and I didn't get any tomato seeds started indoors so they could be big enough to produce anything before the fall frosts.  So, last week I picked out some seedlings from a local nursery--Brandywine Tomatoes.

I've never grown, or to the best of my knowledge even eaten a Brandywine before--I'm going into this only based on their reputation as an extremely tasty variety.

They're also a very slow growing variety, but hopefully that won't be too much of a problem.  I have a single Grape Tomato plant in a big pot on the patio, so I'm thinking that will help us manage the waiting.

Because Brandywines are an heirloom variety and not a hybrid, I'm planning on saving some of the seeds (assuming they grow pretty well and taste very good)--it will be my first time fermenting seeds (more info here) so that also will be a new adventure.  And, I love over time getting the seeds from the plants that do best in my little spot under the sun.

But, obviously, I'm getting way ahead of myself (as I usually do when I start thinking about gardening!  But that's the point of planting things, isn't it?).  It's a rainy, dreary day and I only just dug up a strip of grass to plant these little guys in--and even with that, on account of the rain and general drear, I didn't do much more than the minimum, as you can clearly see from the photo.  Fruits of my labor will still be a long way off (if at all, to look at it totally realistically).

But since nothing will come unless I take the first step, I hereby consider myself and my Brandywine Tomatoes on our way.  Hooray for us!





ETA: the whole heirloom thing reminds me of this very funny recent Garden Rant post.  Now, don't get me wrong, I'm on board with having some water and canned foods on hand in the winter, nothing wrong with having flashlights, extra batteries, and blankets when you need them--just don't try and sell me $20 of heirloom seeds for $159.95 because I'm supposed to be afraid not to.

Guess between my beets, spinach, and now the Brandywine tomatoes, we'll be good to go in case of governmental collapse.  But don't worry--in the event of a catastrophy I'll be happy to share them with you all, no $159.95 required.

No comments:

Post a Comment