Saturday, May 15, 2010

Want to see something cool?

Last year I had a pot of jewel toned pansies on my porch.  I was a bit surprised (but not unhappy!) to find a pretty yellow one had reseeded itself and was growing in the front garden.

I was even more surprised to find (about a month later) these pansies (above)--the yellow/cream and the purple/yellow blooms there are both on the same plant.  But the really cool thing is that I'm pretty sure that the purplish one started out cream/yellow--I could be wrong, but it looks to me that the bees  have cross pollinated my yellow pansies with my yesterday-today-and-tomorrow violas to make these pretty little yesterday-today-tomorrow-and-yellow pansies--how cool is that?

1 comment:

  1. That is pretty cool ;-)
    The yellow/cream/purple pansies are really pretty. I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete