Wednesday, May 5, 2010

More Columbine, and the Broccoli shows itself (I think)

Picking up some furnace filters yesterday, Rose and I had to stop and look at the rack of seeds (obviously) and she spotted these pretty Blue Columbine seeds.

We already have 2 Harlequin Mix Columbine growing in her garden that we're hopeful will bloom this year, and more seeds of it planted, but that blue is so lovely, isn't it?

Not entirely sure where they're going to go--mixed together?  next to each other? far apart?

They're Rose's for her garden, so she get's to decide this one, but I think I'm in love with them already (honestly, I'm in love enough to yank up the Harlequin Mix and put all my money on the pretty blue ones, but Rose doesn't share that opinion.)

Right now in the front garden, my All Summer Beauty Hydrangea is looking alive and quickly gaining size.  It's another of those perennials I got last year from Spring Hill.

It's supposed to bloom traditional blue Hydrangeas on old and new canes--didn't bloom last year but I expect I'll see something this year.

As you can see, it's pretty close to the white bleeding heart, but those die back in the summer, so I was hoping the hydrangea would get big as the bleeding heart dies back and everything would be dandy.

Fingers crossed, but I guess I can always dig things up if it get's bad.

Also in the front garden, I have a Poker Primrose coming up. Yet again, one of those Spring Hill things.

Should eventually look like the picture to the right--kind of interesting and seems to like shade.


I'm not very heartened reading the customer reviews for both of these on the Spring Hill website, but they're there now, and they were free, so I'll keep hoping for the best and plan a replacement if it doesn't work out.

(wouldn't blue columbine look good there?)

In the back garden, all but one of my foxglove (Gloxinaflora from seed last year) are back.

One of them actually bloomed last year, and that's the same one that looks so much bigger and fuller this year (little pic on the right).

Also last year I planted some Foxy Foxglove in the front garden--one of those bloomed last year but none of them  are back this spring.

It's a very good thing I planted both kinds--I love foxglove and I don't know if I would have tried again if all I saw was the foxy's poor turnout.

Still confused with the Gloxinaflora, but not unhappy--I think I need to watch these guys (and their descendants) for a few more years before I can figure out how these guys work.

And, finally, I have (hopefully!) Broccoli!


I'm a bit afraid to say that too loud, what with the whole spinach, not spinach fiasco, but it's in the right place and I'm pretty sure it looks right.

About 11 days ago, along with the spinach, Rose and I put some Waltham 29 Broccoli seeds from Botanical Interests in the back garden, among the flowers.

I thought it best to focus on part-shade tolerant veggies back there this year, and save the tomatoes for big pots in the sun.

At this moment, no beets or beans (also planted on April 24) but I'll take the broccoli as a hopeful start.

2 comments:

  1. Daphne and Rose, What a delightful blog. I am so glad I found you (through Blotanical). You have achieved a lot in a short time. I can't wait to see those poker primroses in bloom. I will follow your progress with interest. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Pam! It's been a lot of fun so far. Your blog is fabulous--very helpful. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete