Thursday, May 13, 2010

Hollyhocks, meet World

This photo makes me smile, the little bitty hollyhock sprout looking out at the big wide world!

The hollyhocks are starting to come up, but 2 have already damped off (the first two, so maybe I didn't get the wrap off of them fast enough?) and most of the others aren't sprouting.

Don't know if it's the hardware store seeds, my own incompetence, or just sheer stubbornness on the part of hollyhocks, but these guys aren't doing as well as I'd hoped.

It's funny, because the ones that are growing well look great, but the suicidal ones aren't shy about it either.

I'm going to throw a few more seeds in the unsprouted cells and re-plasticwrap only those, hopefully getting something from them.  I started with 2 seeds per cell, but I think I need to up my odds a bit more.


2 comments:

  1. germination is always exiting... its the anxiety that keeps it alive. So many factors surround seeds to germinate or not to germinate... good luck.
    ~bangchik
    Putrajaya Malaysia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Putrajaya--I think I'm going to need some luck with these ones! I agree about the anxiety--makes it feel like magic when the dead looking seeds do spring to life!

    ReplyDelete