Sunday, May 2, 2010

Heriloom Beets

I have to confess, I've never actually eaten a fresh beet. Ever.

And yet I've got a whole bunch of them hopefully about to sprout up amid the flowers in my back garden.

I'd like to tell you it's because they're highly nutritious, rich in antioxidants, full of blessed healthfulness (which they are), but I'm afraid that isn't true.

I was mostly just beguiled by the picture. Those damn cross sections with gorgeous concentric rings of rich color. The idea of pulling up bunches of full, pretty colored leaves to find these lovely orbs of red and orange, yellow.

And, lest you think I didn't do my research, see here--they look just as good in real life, too! (picture from grassrootsgourmet.net)

Plus, the other day I made Jamie Oliver's roast potatoes, carrots, and parsnips with garlic and rosemary and thought, "wouldn't this be lovely with beets?"

Plus they're Heirloom. (swoon)

Yep, my fate was sealed.

So, more of my money right to Botanical Interests (I hope they pay those artists well) and Rose and I put in 2 short rows of mixed Bull's Blood, Chioggia, and Golden Beets right in the middle of our back garden flowers.

Of course, just this morning I noticed we were supposed to soak the seeds 24 hours before planting--whoops!

Guess I'll need to water them a bit more and hope for the best.

Wish me luck with the seeds, the plants, and hopefully with actually liking beets!

No comments:

Post a Comment