Wednesday, May 12, 2010

And you are...? (or: where's Nancy Drew when I need her?)


A few weeks ago, I found this little guy growing by my back spigot.  Being very new still at gardening, my first thought when I saw pointed leaves and thorns was, "a rose?  how'd that get here?" (it's ok if you laugh with me about it, I am laughing)

After roughly 30 seconds on google, I found out, sadly, it wasn't going to be a rose when it grew up, but I still don't know what it will grow up to be!

I've moved it to a more empty area in the garden and am watching it, waiting to find out what it does.

My husband (who, like me, knows a whole lot more about google than he does about the identifying traits of local flora) thinks it's probably in the blackberry/raspberry family, but what exactly it is (much less whether it does anything pretty and/or yummy!) is still a mystery.

Stay tuned....

6 comments:

  1. I see three leaves and hope it is box elder and NOT poison ivy. Your husband could be right i.e. raspberry. Try the following link --

    http://www.savorlife.com/special_pages/g_poisonivy.htm

    Good luck! Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow--great link, Pam! I'm used to seeing a certain look of poison ivy, but had no idea it could take so many different forms.

    In this case, I think it's not ivy partly because of the thorns but mostly because I haven't developed a rash (not the best way to test something, but useful after the fact!)

    Still, I'll start keeping my distance while I wait for it to do something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking blackberry when I saw it. Can never be 100% sure, but poison ivy's leaves generally aren't super jagged serated like that (not that I've seen anyway) so I don't think its that.

    One thing if it is blackberry instead of raspberry, be aware that it can spread quickly and invasively through a massive root system if it takes hold, so good to know so you can contain it. See Gippsland Garden blog for the horror stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daphne,
    Great to be gardening with your daughter. She will remember it forever. I planted many bulb gardens when my kids were young and we loved waiting in spring for the glorious display! Can't you plant your hollyhocks seeds outside now in zone 6? Happy Gardening Meg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jess--thanks for the tip, I checked out the blog and it sounds horrible: "one long strappy cane wrapped around one ankle and it lashed viciously against the other ankle when I started hopping around trying to pull it off."--yikes!

    Meg--we seem to be past our last frost, and (from what I read, not direct experience) the hollyhocks can take a bit of frost, so I think they should be fine, although I'm waiting for them to get a bit bigger. I hope Rose does remember and enjoy this as she gets older--it's so much fun to see her excited about seeds and plants! It's lovely that you and your kids had that together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. my first thought when seeing that is Rubus spectabilis (Salmonberry). It is the same family as the blackberry and raspberry. We have a lot of them growing at our home here in Ireland, a lovely shrub, nice pink flowers and orange berries.

    ReplyDelete