Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Front Garden

This little area by the front porch is what I'll be calling the front garden. As you can see, it's a fairly small place with partial shade tucked behind a curved retaining wall.

Right now is has mulch and some sparse pachysandra (not my favorite), but I envision it as a delightful little hidden space with bleeding hearts, a hydrangea, and some interesting little things like trillium and hellebore. I've started the shorter "foxy" foxglove for this space.

I'm undecided about that pachysandra. My gut instinct is to just yank it all up and make it go away, but I'm also wondering it it wouldn't be good to keep it there as a green mulch thing, at least until the rest of the stuff takes root and fills out.

I've also ordered some strawberries and a pot for that front porch--that (like the whole rest of this) will be an experiment with a lot of high hopes riding on it!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with your new garden. Even though I live in Bermuda (my Eden), I still recognize lots of stuff: like nasturtiums, dorotheanthus, herbs, vegetables - go figure! I just started a blog as well and am learning how to grow (not kill) vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Prospero! Good luck with your garden!

    ReplyDelete