Sunday, March 29, 2009

Sunny Saturday--things alive

Yesterday was a lovely, sunny day--I thought I'd share some photos of our world looking spring-like (and share them real quick before things get more typically March around here!).

Rose planted the first "crop" outdoors in the newly composted back garden: her sweet peas. These are Knee-Hi Mix sweet peas and they call for sowing in 6" trenches and filling them up as they grow. I've grown sweet peas a few times on the balcony and this trench thing is a new one for me, but who am I to argue with Hart Seeds? Here's our trench with Rose's sweet peas planted in it (look close, a little toward the back, see it now?):



In the middle of the day, it was warm enough in the sun to let the seedlings sit outside for a bit. May not be enough to make a difference in the long run, but we wanted to give them a little breeze to toughen them up and some extra sunshine for growth (look to the back you can also see the geranium I put in the basement for the winter--it's actually sprouting a ton of new little leaves, so I'm hopeful despite it's current spindly look):

And here are the seedlings, only 5 days or less since they started popping up and look at them go!

The tomatoes:

The foxy foxglove and the moon flowers (now 2 up--didn't I tell you they start out like seeds on a stem!):
And the tray with unsprouted spearmint, viola and the little seedlings of common thyme and butterfly weed--I finally got a shot of that little thread of butterfly weed that will turn into a 2' bush with bright orange flowers, amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment